Keep calm and change your passwords ! That’s secure.
We’ve been through it all – having the same password, having an easy password, never changing a password, ignoring requests to change passwords etc …. and the dreaded please choose a complicated hard to remember password.
So what’s our recommendation for 2020 vision –
- Keep business and personal passwords separate
- Use a passphrase if possible i.e. “Thequickbrownfoxisfast” – this is the latest best practice
- Use a hard password of 8+ characters with a mix of uppercase/lowercase and symbols – this has recently been debunked as too hard to remember and not as secure as a passphrase.
- Change your password regularly for sites that require extra security. ie your banking, payroll or cloud accounting software.
- Use two factor authentication (2FA) for any sensitive sites …. like all of those in point 4. above. Ask us how if you are unsure.
- NEVER share your password.